7.05.2011

Joseph & Leah: from first impressions to "she said yes" (Part 3)



The story of mine and Leah's engagement actually begins three days prior to the proposal...

It was Wednesday, June 22. 
     I was packing my bag to go to Lake Charles for the weekend to spend time with Leah and her family. I had the ring for approximately two months, and it was burning a hole in my pocket-- well, actually, the safe in which it was kept. I decided to take the ring with me to Lake Charles just to see if things would play out. Anytime I would go south or do something special with Leah, my mom would ask if I was going to propose. Up until now, I would smile, say no, and continue getting ready. This time was different. This time it felt right. This time, I wanted to know I'd spend the rest of my life with the girl of my dreams. With my duffel bag over my shoulder and keys in hand I turned the knob on our front door. My mom was right on cue.
          "So, are you going to propose?" 
          "Maybe." I said. 
          "WHAT?!?" 
     With a quick, but genuine I love you, I was out the door leaving my mom happy, shocked, and on pins-and-needles.

It was Thursday, June 23. 
     I had arrived late Wednesday night and woken up in the Hathaway's beautiful, two-story home. The house was quiet, cool, and comfortable. My mind, however, was racing. The entire one-hundred and eighty-one mile drive had given me just enough time to thoroughly freak out about asking her parents. I knew that they loved me. I knew that they were supportive of Leah and I. But, there's just something nerve-racking about putting yourself and your relationship out there to hinge on a yes or no.
     Bill, Leah's dad, is an emergency room doctor and was scheduled to work the graveyard shift, so he was asleep. This was almost the excuse that I was looking for to talk myself out of asking. However, Mrs. Kay was up. So, I went to get the ring, put it in my pocket, and headed downstairs. Before I could get nervous again, I simply took the ring out and held it in front of her, smiling.
          "I really need to talk to you about this."
     She freaked. In a good way. She hugged. and cried. and hugged. and stared at the ring. and hugged. and stared some more. I told her that I really wanted to talk to Bill, and she said that she'd keep an eye out for when he was up. I decided that after that small challenge, I'd take a nap on the couch and rest before the big one.
    I woke up a few hours late with Bill nudging my shoulder.
          "Kay said that you had something you wanted to talk to me about."
    I was half asleep, so panic didn't really have time to set in. I was trying to gather my thoughts, act mature, and get my act together. None of the above were happening. In my semi-cognizance,  I blurted out the only thing that came to mind.
          "Sir, I really want to marry your daughter."
     It wasn't the speech about loving her, and providing, and serving the Lord that I had planned, but it got the job done well enough. He smiled, nodded his head, gave a quick blessing, hugged me, and told me he had to get to work. Soon, he was out the door, my heart was pounding, and I knew there was only one thing left to do...

It was Friday, June 24.
     My life was about to change. I knew it. My parents knew it. Bill and Mrs. Kay knew it. Leah was oblivious.
     So there we were at Mazen's, a beautiful Mediterranean restaurant-- one of the nicest restaurants in Lake Charles. The meal was perfect. The food was great. There was a sweet baby sitting beside us that Leah could make faces at. Perfect evening. By the way, I was totally acting like the biggest weirdo throughout the night. Leah kept asking me what was wrong. I kept pulling excuses out of my... head.
   The entree was taken away. Dessert was coming. I was freaking. There was no way that I was leaving that restaurant without a fiance, but things we not as cool, calm, and collected as I was hoping for. So, I went to the bathroom, psyched myself out and went back out there as a champ.
     The table was cleared. The desserts had been ordered. And the ring was in my pocket. My. heart. was. racing. I had never been more sure that I wanted to be with her. I had also never realized that I was putting into motion a series of events that would make me the head of our home, the priest of our household, the father of our children, and the man of God called to love her as Christ loved the church. I know. Big step.
    I don't remember much after that. Blame it on the adrenaline. I remember beginning my speech, getting down of one knee, and taking the ring out of my pocket. She immediately began saying yes, yes, yes. I reminded her that I hadn't actually asked her anything yet.
          "Well ASK me!" She said/shouted, smiling.
     I asked Catherine Leah Hathaway to marry me that night. She said yes. I put the diamond ring on her finger and kissed her for the first time as my fiance. To my surprise, the restaurant applauded, ladies came over to congratulate us, and the hostess asked to take our picture. The night was perfect.

     Now the exciting part begins. I get to spend the rest of my life loving her-- and I wouldn't have it any other way.

 

If you really like this and other blogs that I write, I'd really appreciate you commenting and sharing your thoughts. I get tons and tons of response of Facebook and Twitter (keep those coming) but I just wanted to let you know how easy it is to post here as well. Also, if you want to be my friend for life, click the Facebook or Twitter share buttons at the bottom of each post. You'll get to share with all friends and followers the coolness that you've just read on the web!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Joseph!! I wish you both a long and happy life together! (For some reason google is being a pain about letting me sign in. It's Dr. Wells, not anonymous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura BrownJuly 06, 2011

    Ok, thanks for starting my day through tears & blurred vision! Lol I pictured everything as I read it! How absolutely perfect.. You so deserve this, Joseph! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 06, 2011

    !!!!!! SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS! :) I kept getting goosebumps while I was reading this. Haha
    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete