8.28.2011

Perseverance Must Finish Its Work

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

This new found stress of college life drove me to God's Word today. It's not the moving into the dorm, the driving, the registration process, or the financial obligations that are stressing me out. It's my family, fiancee, and best friends being three hours away that hurts, at times. Oh yeah, and I have that "oh-god-it's-like-the-first-day-of-highschool-and-I-don't-know-anyone-that-I-can-sit-with-at-lunch" feeling. That sucks.

I must let perseverance finish its work. That's the word that the Lord gave me today. Yes, I'm homesick. Yes, I'm unsure about a lot of things. Yes, this is all new and a little unnerving. Take heart, these are things that the Lord will touch with His Grace. If I choose to persevere, they'll turn from trials to tools that He'll use for my good and His Glory.

I'm unsure as to where this blog finds you today. You may be in a similar situation. You may be worse off. I spur you on with the words of James; let perseverance finish its work. Don't bow out early. I promise you that God is using everything we face in our lives as a transformating agent. Lord, give us faith to trust you in times of trial. Forgive our unbelief, and give us grace to do you will. Today, I leave you with the words of my favorite person in the whole world.

John 16:33

New International Version (NIV)

   33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - JESUS

-END-
Judging from the pictures below, I'm obviously not the first one that has felt a tad bit awkward at school. What do you think? Leave a comment below! Do you have any advice or testimonials from your scholastic experiences?

Awkward School Photo #1

Awkward School Photo #2



Awkward School Photo #3


3 comments:

  1. Not just perserverance, but endurance. The word used is hoopomonay, which is cheerful or hopeful endurance, continuance. It's interesting that the worship lately in my church has been all about drawing strength from God, and allowing Him to shape you into what He wants you to be.

    Don't forget, no matter how homesick or lonely you feel, He is always with you, and will always be bigger than any mountain that is in your way :-)

    God bless from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fiona! You're a huge blessing. Thank you for your encouragement. :) You're right. He's always with us. He's always there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you already, Joseph. :) I'm praying for you and love you lots!

    #1's my favorite, by the way. Just so sweet. Haha

    ReplyDelete