7.08.2011

This Could Be Jesus


I was driving home from my friend Chelsea's house yesterday, and I passed this homeless man on my way. Looking at him, I didn't think about why he was there. I didn't think about what he'd do with the money he'd received that day. I didn't think about how he needed to get a job. I just felt deep down inside that I needed to do something... I also was mega-frustrated that I am notorious for not carrying cash. So, I scrounged together all of the change I could find in my car and rolled down my window.

When he walked over, I could see his eyes. He had beautiful blue eyes. When I put the change in his hand, I could feel his calluses. He had worn hands. When he walked away, I could only think one thing, this could be Jesus.

I know that he was the one less fortunate, but I felt so humbled. In that brief, passing moment he'd taught me something special. I learned that more often than not, I miss opportunities to serve. I, we, miss opportunities to bless and be blessed. I challenge you: take the time, seize the opportunity.

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking the other day that I need to carry more cash so that I can give to people when they ask me, or if I see a need. Thank you for confirming my conviction.

    --James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go buy bags of food for folks I would see with will work for food signs. I never, in those days, had work to give them but I could always afford a bag of burgers. And that way, I knew it wouldn't go to something other than food, too. I also think it's very nice that you give him the benefit of the doubt rather than feel cynical about it, as a lot of people have become accustomed to anymore.

    ReplyDelete